Thursday, January 25, 2018

Hygge

Over the years, I've learned that there are names for many of the things that I have natural tendencies for. The latest discovery is the word Hygge. Apparently, this is the Danish word for enjoying life's simple pleasures. It is a synonym to the word coziness.

In all honesty, it's me, in the winter, especially. I naturally crave time curled up by the fireplace, with a good book and/or good company. Candle light, soft blankets, and good comfort foods. How good it is for my soul. 

I am the person who will keep my Christmas tree up as long as I can. For real. I've actually re-decorated it for Valentine's Day before! And even had one that lasted until the beginning of March! We use real trees, that get put out on the property to be used by critters for a new home, when we're done with them.

Though, my home is somewhat Hygge friendly, with blankets on each section of couch. The fireplace going most of the time, as we gather for a story or a good game, not to mention some good food! My hope is, that by next winter, my home will much more Hygge friendly.

Currently it is a mess of half finished projects. Clutter and chaos abound. Thanks to the concept of minimalism, another natural tendency of mine, I'm working to decrease the unwanted, unneeded, excess to make more time, more space, and more freedom for us to truly enjoy just being. Just fellow-shipping.

In truth, it makes me think of my relationship with the Lord. I came into it with so much baggage, and just when I think I've got things cleared out, He says, "Now let's work on this one." However, with each area we dive into, I learn, I grow, I become more free. The freer I become, the more time I spend just enjoying my time with Him. The fellowship. The good spiritual food. The comfort and coziness of His presence.

I hope that by next winter, this too shall be more Hygge friendly. That not only will my home be a warm, cozy, friendly, welcoming place to gather and snuggle and share with one another a time of eating and drinking and being merry, but my spirit will match the state of my home. That I will be in a place of compassion and tender care, of joy and laughter, with faith and hope abounding.


No comments: