Tuesday, October 20, 2015

What's in a Name?

Currently, in my bible study group, we are utilizing the book "Experiencing God". As I read the first chapter I was reminded of why I have always taken time to know the meanings of the names I might give my children.

There have been names I've liked and chosen not to use, because when we say someone's name we are speaking the meaning of that name over that person. I want what I speak over my children to be a blessing and not a curse.

In chapter one, the author explains that for the early Jews a name was given to describe the character, quality, or something of a person. For example, Isaac means "Laughter" because his parents laughed when God promised him to them.

This is why God has so many names. God is so many things to us. He has so many characteristics. When we speak His name with a heart of worship, we bless Him.

As I finished reading the 1st chapter today, and went over the questions at the end, I was encouraged to think about the names of God that I have personally experienced and which one was most prominent in my life, right now.

My answer: "Lover of my soul". No matter how I feel, when I've cried out to God, especially lately, He has reminded me of how deeply He loves me. Not because I doubt His love, but because sometimes I get so worried about the love of others, that I forget that I have the most important love of all... His.

Tonight, I am thankful for His love. I am thankful that He is the "Lover of my soul" and that, no matter what, the heart He has for me is always full. Nothing can change that. Because He doesn't change.

I pray tonight, that each of you will experience His mighty love in such a way that it fills you and draws you closer to Him than you have ever been.

No comments: