Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 19, 2012

Being missional is being a witness for God. This was the message at church today.

"Taking the message of the master to the masses through ministry."

Psalm 16:11

New International Version (NIV)

11 You make known to me the path of life;
   you will fill me with joy in your presence,
   with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
 

Psalm 108:3

New International Version (NIV)

3 I will praise you, LORD, among the nations;
   I will sing of you among the peoples.
 


Isaiah 52:7

New International Version (NIV)
 7 How beautiful on the mountains
   are the feet of those who bring good news,
who proclaim peace,
   who bring good tidings,
   who proclaim salvation,
who say to Zion,
   “Your God reigns!”

Matthew 6:21

New International Version (NIV)
21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
 

Matthew 9:36-38

New International Version (NIV)
36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”
 
 

Matthew 10:7-8

New International Version (NIV)
7 As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ 8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.

John 4:35

New International Version (NIV)
35 Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.
 

Acts 1:8

New International Version (NIV)
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
 

Romans 10:11-15

New International Version (NIV)
11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”[a] 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”[b]  14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”[c]
 


"I know I'm not perfect, but at least I'm not what I was." God spoke to me through the minister's statement. I've been struggling with my past hurt for a while now. I don't want to, but it keeps creeping up on me and I look at myself and all that I've thought was wrong with me, and I haven't really looked at what is good or right with me. I have allowed my heart to be focused on the wrong things. When God got a hold of my heart my life changed. Yes I was still being hurt in the same old ways, but I had Him. When I had kids, a struggle began. I fought against the wrong ways that I was taught and every time I failed I held on to that failure. I got so focused on my mistakes that I didn't see how much I've grown or changed. I didn't see what I was doing right or good. Connecting my mistakes with the mistakes my parents made, especially my mom, brought up a lot of pain that I'd never dealt with before. I'd just swallowed it and tucked it away somewhere. Even this very morning, I was talking to my husband about how I hated seeing my hurt bring hurt to my children. These words, "I know I'm not perfect, but at least I'm not what I was." gave me some perspective. Those hurts may be there from my past, but I am not that broken little girl anymore. When God got a hold of my heart, my life changed! As I thought about how different I am from what I was becoming when I gave my heart to the Lord, I realized for all the mistakes and all the failures I've made I'm doing much better than I could've been. I have done many things right and succeeded at things that I may not even be aware of. I know a young lady who reminds me a lot of myself before I gave God my heart. She is hurting and broken. Her mother reminds me a lot of my own. Until I heard this message, I was really close to telling my girls I didn't really want them playing with her. What kind of influence would she be for them? What negative doors was she opening in their lives? Sure they're probably a good influence on her, but was it worth the risk? Sadly many of us "Christians" think like that. We forget that Jesus (as my dear friend put it) "kicked it with sinners." We don't seem to really understand what it means to "Love our enemies" and "Our neighbors" To turn our backs on a family in need is the opposite of what God commands of us. This family should be in our prayers. We should be loving them, knowing how God is the King of miracles. After all we can look at ourselves and allow God to open our eyes to how drastically he changed us. Any time we touch someone we should be doing it with the love of God. Anytime we pray for someone, give to missions, offer support we should be doing it with the love of God. The best way to reach out in such a loving way is to remember to spend time in worship. Spending time with God, just as we do to reconnect with our spouse, our kids, our best friends. When we do that we are better able to answer his call to "Take the message of the master to the masses through ministry."

No comments: