Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Modesty

I've always tried to instill, in my daughters, an appreciation for their bodies and their future husbands, (if they get married someday) through modesty. As my sons get older, I realize how important it is for them as well. Not just to respect and appreciate a woman's modesty, but to practice their own.

Too often I hear discussions on women as objects and about the current lack of modesty among many women. How, when women choose not to use modesty, they put our christian brothers in a place of temptation. Of course, each of us has our own perspective of what modesty is. To some, they immediately think of a woman completely covered from head to toe. To others, it simply means to cover what we were once taught were our privates. And we always seem to think it is a woman's responsibility.

I ask, what about the men? Shouldn't they also practice modesty to protect women from temptation? Are we not also sexual beings, drawn to the physique of a man? I know I am!

I met  a man recently, who believed he should be able to wear a speedo, without question or persecution. After all, women walk around in swimsuits that look like undergarments all the time. If they can, then he should as well. That is equality. He has a point. We are all equally responsible for how we treat our bodies and represent them to others.

Modesty isn't just for the ladies.

No comments: