Sunday, September 13, 2015

Parent/Teacher

     It's funny, sometimes, how things come to our attention and change.

     Today, as I taught a class of pre-schoolers, I was faced with the challenge of how to handle a strong-willed child. A child who was not my own. To show her that, though I respected that she had feelings, rules were rules and she still had to follow them. That it was ok for her to not like it. I also had the opportunity of teaching her a lesson on consequences, refusing to budge on my decision, regardless of how hard she tried to get me to. Basically, showing her that I was indeed a solid wall, a stone that would not be moved.

     It wasn't easy, in fact, I did feel a bit bad when she started to cry. My saving grace was the growth I've seen in this child every time I work with her, because I refuse to be moved. Each time she listens better and better, fights less and less, and respects more and more. I don't tear her down, or try to break her. I simply stand my ground, with respect towards her and who she is.

     As I worked with her today, I realized something disappointing. If she had been one of my children, I would've waved my white flag, out of exhaustion and frustration. I know this, because I've been guilty of it so many times. As I told her to sit in her chair the way she should, I didn't settle for her laying across it. Had she been one of my kids, I would've thought, "Well at least she is on the chair, I'm done with this battle. I have too many other things to deal with." 

    Time and time again, my children have gotten surrender from me and now, I am dealing with the consequences of that. Lately, I have been standing my ground, more and more. It hasn't been easy. The easy thing is what I've almost always done. Giving up too soon. Instead I've been trying to look ahead to the possibilities for things to change, if I will just do something different than I've always done. To be strong, bold, and confident.

      As disappointing as this is to realize, it also gives me faith, hope, and the strength to continue to persevere. To stand my ground and let my kids "hate me." for now. Believing, someday, they may grow to benefit from my willingness to change.

No comments: