Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Ecclesiastes

Last night I went to a small group bible study. We were discussing what we would be studying in the coming weeks and used the evening as an opportunity to share where each of us were in regards to the Holy Spirit, since that is what we will be studying. To get us started, the host of the study, for the night, shared the testimony of how he opened his heart to the Lord.

As we got further into discussion one of the men said that the book of Ecclesiastes was his favorite in the bible. He liked the down to earth wisdom in it. I know I've read the book Ecclesiastes before, but I couldn't remember what this book had to say. What made this such a great book? So this morning, after I finished my daily reading, I turned to Ecclesiastes and began to read. I'm on Chapter 5, now. Not that they are long chapters. As I read the first 4 chapters I realized what this man liked so much about this book. It is a good reminder that the things of this world will pass away. That, though it is good to be wise and live a righteous life, we all will die in the end. That life is full of good and bad and that until that day comes we need to remember to enjoy the life that God has given us. God wants us to live abundantly. He wants us to find pleasure in the gifts He has given us. To experience the rewards of the fruits of our labors. What are we striving for? What purpose are we fulfilling today? Who are we living for? Are we taking time to appreciate God's creation? Are we cherishing the moments we have with our loved ones, even if things around us are "out of whack"? Are we willing to take a leap of faith, step out, and do what our spirit is shouting within us to do? This is what life is about. It isn't about gain, glory, or fame. It isn't about meeting the expectations or demands of the world. It is about taking in the beauty of life all around us and in God. Allowing ourselves to love, enjoy, be loved, give, laugh, really live. Things are not life, experiences are.  This world is not our home. Are living with a heart like Jesus or a heart stuck in the world?

This is what I've taken from Ecclesiastes so far today.

No comments: