Monday, February 11, 2013

Feb 10, Morning Notes

Sunday morning we had a guest speaker at my church. His topic was, "What Does True Greatness Look Like"

He shared excerpts from a book by Gene Edwards, "A Tale of Three Kings" along with scriptures from the Bible. One of the three kings is king David.

David, faults and all, has always been one of my favorite historical figures. To be known as "a man after God's own heart" is quite a way to be known. I've always considered him a kindred spirit, with his love for music, his emotional struggles, and especially his hunger for God. A hunger that I hope I have as well. But why was David known as a man after God's own heart? What made him so truly great?

It wasn't because David took down Goliath or because he became king. It was because David was willing to be broken and humbled. The bible tells us that "the least will be greatest and the low will be lifted high." David spent much time alone with God, just as Jesus himself did. He guarded who and what he listened to, accepted help from the people around him, and listened and followed the direction of God. He leaned on God for strength, for everything really.

In order for us to be truly great, there are things we need to remember.

True greatness starts in solitude. Spending unrushed  time alone with God. Where you can truly listen to Him and receive His guidance and wise council. You see this with all of the great prophets. It comes from being faithful in the small things that God gives us. Like the parable of the 3 men and the talents. (Matt 25:14-30, Luke 19:12-28) It comes from a willingness to step outside of our comfort zone, be challenged and sometimes stepping away from our logical human perspective, accepting that God doesn't always work in ways that make sense to man. Allowing ourselves to be lead by humility instead of pride, helping those in need even when we think it is inconvenient, and receiving help from our loved ones even when we think we can do it on our own. True greatness comes from putting aside our human nature of being led by our emotions and living by the standards of this world and instead grabbing a hold of God's nature and standards. Remembering that we are not our own, but God's. We live this life, not for the whole world to see, but for an audience of one. God. Our focus should not be on pleasing the world but on pleasing him.

Surprisingly, to some, we do please God more often than we know. Like a parent finds pleasure in the smallest of their child's achievements, God does as well. It's what you do with those unplanned, unexpected moments. The smile you gave to the new person at whatever place you were. The penny you put in the donation jar for a charity that touches your heart. The fact that you got up this morning even when you wanted to stay in bed curled up until next weekend, month, year, or lifetime.

Yesterday I had a moment of knowing that I had pleased God. I sang at church yesterday, which meant I had to get there earlier than when I don't sing, for our practice. I had told my husband the night before that I wanted him to bring our kids and even stay so he could join us on a trip to the fire station afterwards. I got up, and was trying to figure out what to do. In my heart I kept thinking I should talk to him and make sure he was going to do what I wanted. I didn't want to do that. When I heard in my heart that I should start by getting my boys' clothes ready and get dressed myself, I decided that would be a good start. By the time I finished that, the urge inside of me won out against my own desire. I went and sat at the edge of our bed and asked my husband if he was going to do what I wanted him to do. I didn't want to do this, because I knew in my heart his answer already. I knew I couldn't count on him to bring the kids, which would ruin the field trip a friend of mine had planned. My husband doesn't go to church and doesn't like when he has to bring the kids for me. I asked him anyway and he confirmed that he wasn't going to do it. So I woke up my girls and then my boys. Everyone got ready and ate. Amazingly, we left on time, which we normally don't, and ended up arriving just a little early. It was one of the most peaceful mornings we've had in a long time. The rest of the day turned out pretty nice and peaceful as well. I know it was because of the obedience I chose, even though it wasn't what I had wanted.

One of my favorite things, the pastor quoted was "I am your shepherd and God is mine." What a great motto as a parent.  


No comments: