Saturday, June 28, 2014

Discipline

"Tweet! Tweet! Tweet! Tweetweetweetweet!" The song of the birds, wandering through the window, as the sun comes up over the horizon. The air isn't humid and heavy, just yet, but nice and cool. The family is still caught up in their subconscious adventures. I sit, with God, and breath. I am at peace.

This is how my days have been starting and I must say, it has been a pure blessing to open up such a fresh start. To check my attitude and assess and prepare myself for the journey that is beginning. Allowing myself to prayerfully decide what goals I will pursue this day.

I'm not used to living day by day, moment by moment. I'm often found in my thoughts and pondering the should be and could be. But God is changing me, morning by morning, day by day. With tomorrow not being guaranteed, I am striving to live today to the fullest.

In these weeks, that the Lord has been growing this appreciation within me, I've been privy to the view of the changes in my family as well. The attitudes, the frustrations, the fighting are all dissipating and love and kindness have been growing.

It delights my heart to know, that as I become more disciplined in my own heart and mind, my children see how to do it more and more.

I was recently reading the Dr. Sears "The Discipline Book". I've at least skimmed through this book before, thinking, "This is great and all, but I'm too late and my children must already be doomed." This time however, I'm realizing what is more important than trying to discipline my children, is learning to be disciplined myself. After all, how can I give my children, what I do not already possess? And so, I venture into a quest to become more aware and grow the discipline within myself, that my children may be able to see and learn as I grow and change.

My words may be as many as the stars in the skies, but they will not have the imprint upon my children in the same powerful way as my actions.

No comments: