Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bible Study Part 3

Psalm 11 - v1&3 reminds me of how we ask God WHY does He let bad things happen to good people. How can He sit back and do nothing to stop it?
v4-7 is like a reminder that God sees what is going on and He will serve justice. Our enemies will be punished.

Reading the part about how He sits on His throne and watches us just makes God seem so far away and really in old testament times it does seem like He didn't really tap into mankind much. Even the people who followed Moses questioned God. He gave them signs, and spoke through Moses, but people doubted. Then when Jesus died and the veil was torn and all were accepted into the arms of the Lord, it's like He finally received His children in a way. Maybe because He gained a new perspective of His creation? I mean when Jesus came He came because He loves us. So I'm a little confused at how God wasn't as loving in the old testament if Jesus came to show us how God felt towards us and what He expected from us. Does that make sense?

Proverbs 11 - I think it shows examples of how to be and how not to be. Don't be a liar, don't be greedy, don't be self-centered and selfish, don't lean on yourself or the things of this world. Be generous, be compassionate and caring, be honest, and trust in God.

psalm 12 - God will deal with those who speak against us wrongly. In turn we are to work towards speaking purely as well. It also makes me think of fake people really. Those who say "Hey let's get together. You name a time and place, and I'll make it happen!" but then they don't. Or they say "You look fantastic in that!" but really you look ridiculous. Not just those who say negative stuff about you.

proverbs 12 - I think these are things to look for in ourselves and in those we choose to connect with to see where we are in our spiritual growth and whether the people in our lives are good to have in our lives. Do they strengthen or weaken our relationship with the Lord. Are we growing in the Lord or sinking away from him.

Psalm 13 - I believe David dealt with depression. This psalm reflects that, in my opinion. Yet, even in the depth of his depression, he turned to God. It probably wasn't easy, but he sought God for refuge. He trusted in the power of God's love.

Proverbs 13 - There is much to gain in righteousness and much to lose in ungodliness. Be open and willing to learn, to grow. Be patient and work hard. Surround yourself with others who are reaching towards God as well, because the people we surround ourselves with have a strong influence on us. In all that we, as parents do, we must walk with discipline as an example for our children.

Psalm 14 - When we do things without making God a part of our decision making, things happen that maybe weren't meant to happen. Like driving drunk and killing someone. It's a foolish choice, and yet it happens all the time. It's not what God wants to have happen, but He gave people free will, so things don't always work out according to His plan. However, being God, He finds ways to take the bad and make them work for His glory anyway.

Proverbs 14 - v1 rings loud and clear for me, because honestly I'm pretty foolish. I've been going to counseling trying to find some sanity lately, because I seriously thought I was on the brink of a mental breakdown. Between that and some of the things my teachers have said and studying the bible with my friends, I've come to a pretty blunt realization. I'm narcissistic and selfish and self centered. Not in everything of course. But as much blame as I take on myself, it's not because things are my fault or I'm trying to be a victim or anything, it's simply because I take things too personally and act like the world revolves around me, even though I KNOW it doesn't. At the same time there is plenty I don't take responsibility for, because, I guess, the idea that I can change and be different is so hard to believe that I don't want to see who I've been much. On top of all that I've realized that I get so focused on what is wrong, what isn't working, what isn't healthy, and the things that I'm afraid of that I haven't been paying enough attention to what is good, what is working, what is healthy, and that I shouldn't be afraid. That I can live today as though yesterday and tomorrow don't exist and I can enjoy it! That's a hard "pill" to swallow.

So the proverbs really give great examples of why living without God is a foolish thing. It doesn't make sense. You have his wrath that will come upon you in due time. You have death in every way. You have a lack of joy and even happiness, contentment, satisfaction. You're empty and often times lonely. You're always wanting and feeling like nothing is good enough. You have no one to trust or feel safe with. No place you truly feel safe. And the list goes on and on. These are the things people are constantly trying to figure out how to correct in their lives and yet they skip away from the one thing that can correct it all. God. Even I do that in some areas of my life... Thankfully God is opening my eyes to those things.

No comments: