Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bible Study Part 4

Psalm 15 - I basically got that this is a short outline of how we should strive to be.

Proverbs 15 - Choose your words with thoughtfulness and take the time to truly listen and think over what you hear. Be content with what you have, not to the point that you become stagnant, but to the point where you are not envious of what you don't have. Be willing to live righteously even if it means not living as you thought you wanted to.


Psalm 16 - I took this as a reminder that in God we find peace and joy. He is with us even in the middle of the night when we're laying in bed, afraid to move, with a little boy snuggled on either side of you and a grown man taking up the bottom half of the bed (as well as most of the covers.)

Proverbs 16 - v1 reminds me that God knows our hearts and what is in our hearts will eventually come out of our mouths or at least be shown in our actions. It also reminds me that if we listen well enough we will hear God speaking to us with love and guidance.
The verses about the king and speaking with wisdom, made me think of Joseph. The one with the coat of many colors who interpreted dreams. It was because he spoke with wisdom, that he was pardoned by the king. It was because he spoke the truth that the king gave him such a high ranking. The king knew he could trust Joseph. We can't be afraid to speak in wisdom and truth, because of what others might think or how they might react. Goes back to me needing to learn to find AND use my voice.

psalm 17 - God fills us so we are not empty. He protects us and defends us. He hears us when we cry out to him, whether to pray or to praise.

proverbs 17 - vs 1 makes me think of family get togethers. The movies exploit it. You get together with the relatives for Thanksgiving and it's a disaster. You may even be able to warn others, that might be stopping by, about the annual "disagreements" between the same people. We haven't shared a holiday with family, really, since my mom came for Christmas after Anthony's birth. I have to say as much as I enjoy family and big family get togethers, I have learned that I like to have Christmas with just us. At least Christmas morning.

vs 5.. We can be so bad about that one. Think of the comedies we watch! What do we laugh at? Other people's downfalls. We laugh at the guy who tripped and fell into the pool. We laugh at the girl who runs into a window. When you think about it, it's pretty mean to laugh at. But it's just a movie, right? No. We're desensitizing ourselves in a way.

I just like vs 6.

vs 10 you can beat your kids or you can teach your kids. That's what struck me with that. I've done both.

vs 14 We need to pick our battles. Decide what is worth the flood of emotions and the consequences good or bad of our fight.

vs 17 "a brother is born for adversity" to me that sounds like through our siblings God gives us the opportunity to learn. Learning to love our enemies. Learning to accept those who are different than us. Learning to discover and understand others and have compassion for them. It's our jobs as parents to facilitate that growth and learning in our children.

vs 22 joy is medicine. Love is medicine. Good things that make us laugh are medicine. It encourages health in our bodies. That is why children in orphanages who are loved on have a greater chance of survival than those who are ignored aside from feedings and diaper changes. That is why nursing home patients who are frequently visited seem to do much better than those who are never visited.

Psalm 18 - I need to praise God when I feel weighed down, attacked, alone, etc. He will lift me up, give me strength and support, he will comfort me and bring me confidence. He will defend and protect me against my enemies and bring me to safety in peace.

Proverbs 18 - vs 2 I felt like such a fool due to putting my foot in my mouth. Sometimes I say things without thinking about how it might hurt someone else.

This proverb mostly reminds me that though I still have a lot of growing to do, there are areas I've already grown in some.

Psalm 19 - There are signs of God's existence, power, and love all around us. Meditation is good if we are meditating on the right things.

Proverbs 19 - vs 21 we can plan all we want but it is God's plan that matters most. It is His plan we should be following.
Our choices make the differences in our lives. Sometimes other people's choices affect us as well, but we can only really control our own. And we need to. We need to hold ourselves accountable when making choices, that we might make the best ones we can.
 

No comments: